top of page

Capel y Rhos

Ffordd Y Rhos, Treuddyn, CH7 4NN

Services are currently held infrequently. [Contact]



Capel Y Rhos, Treuddyn, is a stone chapel built in 1820 the enlarged and refronted in 1867. The present chapel, dated 1867, is built in the Round-Headed style with a gable-entry plan. Its pedimented facade has two tall windows flanked by doorways. Treuddyn is now Grade 2 listed with the adjoining schoolroom of 1885.

Source: RCAHMW, January 2010

Extracts from Listed Buildings Report:

Welsh Calvinistic Methodist chapel originally built in 1820 and remodelled and refronted in 1867.

The Jerusalem Chapel is located on the north side of Ffordd-y-Rhos 100m north of its junction with Ffordd-y-Gilrhos and set back slightly from the road behind a low brick wall with piers.

Exterior - Welsh Calvinistic Methodist gable-fronted chapel constructed originally of limestone under a slate roof. Principle facade re-built in diaper-pattern red and blue brick, typical of the region, and with stone dressings including quoins. The main front is given pediment treatment by a band course at eaves level. Pair of tall central windows flanked by doorways, all openings having dressed stone round-arched heads with keystones and imposts; the glazing has been renewed but the panelled double-doors are retained. Inscribed central plaque. Large 15-pane sash windows to 3-bay side elevations. Attached to the left side is the 2-storey former minister's house.

Interior - Rectangular interior without gallery and with gently raked seating facing the classical wooden set fawr against the front wall; stairs to either side. Ornate plaster ceiling rose.  

Capel y Rhos

bottom of page